Google Translator

Recommended Links

Monday, September 6, 2010

This n That ....again

Thanks very much everyone! I made some big sales on eBay last week so rolling in dough I thought I'd finally treat myself to a pair of hip waders from the Dolls Cobbler. I'm still trying to flesh out my Greenleaf Fishing Hut.
I've had one listing for waders on my watch list for months. It was relisted once already! The cost: $34. Location is NY state, just across the border from me in Ontario. Shipping is worldwide except ...Canada, Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, North America, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South America! I think that leave only Antarctica. I'm not sure where Oceania is; maybe a new continent/country has been discovered somewhere in the world without my knowledge.
So of course with great disappointment, I wrote to the seller and to my surprise I actually received a response:
For eBay purchases, the only way I can ship this package to your country is Express Mail.
The post office price for Express Mail to your country is $26.95 USD for a package weighing up to 8 ounces.

I don't think so! I won't even spend $60 on a pair of waders that fit me!
Now I realize that postage everywhere is up but even so express mail has to be one of the most expensive options there is. Don't people want to sell and make money? Did I mention this listing has been up and relisted for several months? Obviously it's not a big mover!
One of my chairs sold to Holland. The box it fit in was 15 x 7 x 6 cm; it weighed 200g. To mail it at that size would have cost the buyer $34. Incredible! She only bought it for $10!
In order to bring her price down, I had to pad the original box with styrofoam packing material to bring it up to 15 x 15 x 7 cm. That brought the postage down to $8. Now how stupid is that!!
I wanted my buyer to be satisfied.

I opened a search option for Dolls Cobbler hip waders and with heavy heart (I hate when I set my sights on something that I can't have. Must be the child in me!), I was set to forget about it and turned to my emails where I found one from a lady selling off some of her books. What are the chances! Must be fate! There among her list was "The Doll's Cobbler: A Guide to Shoemaking, by Sylvia Rountree" Very good condition, 26 pages.
I immediately wrote to her; then I went to Amazon where the cheapest book was $17; to eBay where the only listing had a price of $160! This lady's price: $4!!

The other thing I looked at doing was anatomy or sculpting classes. Unfortunately no anatomy and the sculpting class is already full but I've submitted to their mail list. So maybe I can get in next semester.
As if I didn't have enough to do already!

3 comments:

  1. Isn't shipping rediculis!!! I senr a package to California and because it was just over 5 pounds it cost me twice as much. I hope you find your waders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shipping is the most difficult thing about selling (and buying, too). But I just shipped a small packet to a customer in the UK from Florida for around $4 so I don't understand what the NY seller is going on about. I don't think ebay places any restriction on how items can be shipped. Anyway, one way or another, I hope ypou get your waders. It'd almost be cheaper if a US friend had them sent to her and then they sent them to you. I actually did that once.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it because she will only send in a way you can track the item? I don't understand the postage thing either. I ship out of the states a lot, but I just choose the cheapest method. Once a package to Holland cost me $50.00, but that package was quite heavy. What a good score on the book though! I can't wait to see what you make from it!

    ReplyDelete

Always love hearing from you....